Our first two blog posts about ICG certification heavily discussed the “Why?” of becoming a candidate for certification. The “Why?” is important to examine when considering any long-term commitment, but instructional coaches are busy people, and they need an explanation of the “How?” and “What?” as well. The mission of this post is to explain the process itself and to answer a timeless question: “What do I have to do?”
To achieve ICG certification, candidates will submit a portfolio framed by the Seven Success Factors for effective instructional coaching. The seven sections of the portfolio all require written materials, and some require video materials as well. See the breakdown for each of the seven sections here: The Portfolio
ICG certification is a three-year process for candidates.
- Year 1: Candidates will submit as many of the seven components of the portfolio as they like (or none at all) at the end of year 1. (submission window for pilot-phase candidates: May 1-June 15, 2018)
- Year 2: Candidates will submit all of the components of the portfolio that they have not yet submitted by the end of year 2. (submission window for pilot-phase candidates: May 1-June 15, 2019)
- Year 3: Based on the scores they received on each component after year 2, candidates will submit “retakes” of any component that does not meet the “floor score” or to get their overall portfolio score to the certification threshold of 2.75. (retake submission window for pilot-phase candidates: May 1-June 15, 2020)
See the scoring guidelines here: The Time
The cost per candidate for the pilot phase is $400. ICG does not intend to profit from this process, only to cover the cost of administering and scoring the process and supporting candidates. The cost of certification for future certification cycles will only increase if those costs increase. Payment occurs via PayPal on the Registration page: The Money
ICG will provide candidates with numerical scores for their portfolio pieces during the month of October after their June submissions. See the feedback sheets that candidates will receive here: The Feedback
Registration for the pilot phase ends January 31, 2018. After that time, our candidate support page on Facebook will open, and we will begin adding additional questions and responding to FAQs as candidates present them.
Now that you know the “Why?” and the “How?” and the “What?”, join us on this mission to foster better learning through better coaching!
Interested in certification?
- For more information on the ICG coaches’ certification, visit our website instructionalcoaching.com/certifications/
- For any questions about the process, email us at email@example.com.
- To register for this year’s pilot certification process, visit our Registration page https://www.instructionalcoaching.com/certifications/registration/